Usage and maintenance of website
- 1 Technical Details
- 2 Primary functions
- 3 Functionality for registered users
- 4 Used plugins, modules and components
- 5 Modules
- 6 Modifying the webpage
- 7 Adding a new Joomla user
- 8 Adding a new Projectpier user
- 9 Coupling of Joomla and Projectpier useraccounts
- 10 Adding a new page
- 11 Link to a new page from the menu
- 12 Setting the visibility of the left menu
- 13 Modifying a page
The Fontys-VR website makes use of Joomla! version 1.5.x.
By using the front-end of the website, or the back-end (administrative part), authorized users are allowed to change the website.
Joomla! can be extended in serveral ways; by using modules, components or plugins.
The back-end of joomla can be reached at http://fontysvr.nl/administrator. Caution, you need the right authentication in order to access the back-end. If you think you have administrative rights, but when this does not seem the case, contact the administrator of the website.
The functionality of the website can be divided into two parts.
1. The website serves as a window to the outside world. Parties that are interested can get some intuition on what is going on in the Fontys-VR lab.
2. The second part of the website is technical support for tasks within the VR-lab.
The website uses a user based system. Additional functionality is available to users with sufficient rights. User accounts are created on request. Just as user-rights are given on request. Self-registration is not possible.
The website has the following primary functions, which are available to all users.
- Welcome page: General explanation about the VR-Lab of Fontys
- The VR-Lab: A detailed description of the Fontys VR-lab
- Projects : An overview of different kind of projects that are being done within the VR-lab. Sometimes with additional references to associated project pages.
- Services: an overview of the services that Fontys can deliver to external parties.
- Contact : Contact information of employees of the VR-lab
Functionality for registered users
Some of the functionality of the website is only available to a select group of registered users. Not all registered users have access to the same components. It depends on the rights that have been assigned to the user. The following functionality is present:
Used plugins, modules and components
- JoomlaWiki: Use mediawiki with joomla
- Resource booking: This component gives users the opportunity to book a time-slot in the CAVE.
- WLXT / wrapper login: Component that makes it possible to use one single account to access multiple software packages. link to webpage
- SignalLogin: Adjusted module for authenticating user. It is visible on the right bottom of the webpage. link to webpage
- Eventlist CalendarQ: Module that dispalys a calender based on Eventlist link to webpage
- Search: Search the webpage
- Menu's: Head menu on top sub-menus on the left side.
Modifying the webpage
Because the webpage uses Joomla CMS, it is not difficult to adjust it. Some of the tasks have to be exectuted via the back-end . Some other tasks can be performed via the front-end.
Adding a new Joomla user
Site > User Manager > New
Users which have to get entry to Projectpier and the wiki (with modification-rights), but are not allowed to change the webpage itself, must obtain the status 'registred'.
Adding a new Projectpier user
From Projectpier, a user with administrator rights is able to add a user.
Administration > Add User
Preferably the same username/password is chosen as for the Joomla account. The latter is not required.
Coupling of Joomla and Projectpier useraccounts
Given that the user has an account on both systems, a coupling can be created such that the user only has to log-in on the Joomla website.
The coupling can be achieved by using:
Components > WLXT > Users > New
It is possible to select the Joomla user from a list. If the username/password of Projectpier and Joomla is identical, then no additional administration is required. If the latter is not the case, then a custom user-name/password can be supplied.
Adding a new page
Content > Article Manager > New
Every page on the website is but one article. The content of this article can be filled in the back-end. On a later date, the content of this page can be edited in the front-end of the page (by a user that has sufficient rights).
Section needs to be set to the value "uncatogerized".
Menus > Menu Manager > 'Menu Item(s) symbool' > New
The entire menu-structure of the webpage can be determined here. This structure has two levels. Items on the first level appear in the top bar. Items on level two appear on the left-hand side.
A menu entry can be linked to a number of different types of pages. In this case one needs to choose:
Articles > Article Layout
Afterwards it is possible to select the required page under Parameters (Basic).
With Menu Item Details and with Title one can define the text that will appear within the menu. One has to enter the title of the page within Parameters (System).
With the help of the Parent Itemproperty, one can determine if an item will appear on the first level or on the second level.
For some pages, it is preferred or non-preferred that the menu on the left-hand side is being displayed. When creating a new page, on default the left menu is not shown.
The visibility of the left menu can be set as follows:
Extensions > Module Manager > Menu > Menu Assignment > Menu Selection
Here, one can select at which pages the menu should be visible
Modifying a page
By pressing the modify icon, a page can be modified. The title of the page cannot be set here, because the title is determined by the link to the page.